Painless Steps to Organizing
Painless Steps to Organizing is your cure for procrastination about organizing. If you suffer from thoughts such as”I don’t know where to start” or “I don’t have enough time.” You don’t need to delay organizing just take the 1 painless step at a time:
- Get help
- Set deadlines
- Plan ahead
- Remember it’s your 1st pass through
- Make easy decisions first
- Declutter immediately
- Room by room approach
Let’s break each step down…
Painless Steps to Organizing – Get help
Painless Steps to Organizing begins with hiring a Personal Professional Organizer I encourage you to get help at least to get started. Here is why:
- You will be more productive, and get more done faster
- It’s more fun
- It’s easier
- Consider what your time, well being and space is worth
- It will motivate you to do more on your own
Organizing with a professional will give you the opportunity to learn strategy, techniques, and keep you focused. You are less likely to be distracted and not complete tasks when you have an accountability partner at your side.
Painless Steps to Organizing – Set deadlines
Painless Steps to Organizing is to recommend that you think of organizing like moving. This will help you to set deadlines, realistically consider whether or not you need to keep items and how many items you need to keep. Ask yourself, would I want to pay to move this item? Do I still like, use or need it? Do I want to make space for displaying or storing it? When you are going to move you have to be out of the house by a certain date. Set a deadline for yourself to get each step done as if you are moving. Here’s an article about how to make a move easier: How to make a move easier
How and why to set deadlines:
- Work backwards from your deadline
- Create mini projects
- Results are rewarding
- Gives you a sense of accomplishment and completion
Painless Steps to Organizing – Plan ahead
Painless Steps to Organizing are designed to make organizing easier and more efficient. Without a plan you will find yourself wondering what to do, how long it will take and so on. Create a plan and determine:
- Space – you need a space to work in and sort items
- Time – realistically estimate how much time you will need for each mini project
- Supplies – don’t purchase unnecessary organizing tools, use what you have 1st.
- Resources – listen to your Personal Professional Organizer’s suggestions, ask questions, reach articles.
Remember that there is almost no wrong place to start. The only things that you can do wrong, is to continue to procrastinate!
Painless Steps to Organizing – First pass through
Painless Steps to Organizing was inspired by a former client. She said, “I don’t have to decide on every item today because this is my first pass through and I’ll go through it 1 more time.” That was a brilliant insight that enabled her to make decisions. Here are some organizing tips for your first pass through:
- Organize the difficult items on the last pass through. This may include photographs and sentimental items.
- Remember that you will rarely or never miss things when they’re gone.
- Enjoy the new space that you created. Leave it uncluttered.
- Tap into how you feel. Hopefully you will feel less overwhelm and stress about clutter.
Painless Steps to Organizing – Make easy decisions first
Painless Steps to Organizing bears repeating. Easy decisions will likely focus on purging:
- Clothing and shoes that don’t fit or haven’t been worn
- Old, useless paperwork and documents – things you’re “going to” read such as newspapers, magazines, catalogs, circulars
- Information – articles you “might need”, recipes your “want to” try
- Expired coupons
- Fabric swatches
- Plastic bags
- Cables, cords
- Empty shoe boxes
- Wire hangers
- Empty containers of food, toiletries
- Expired, spoiled food, products
Painless Steps to Organizing – Declutter immediately
Painless Steps to Organizing allows you to see the results of your organizing immediately This means that you need to take the step to declutter immediately.
- Put them in your car and move them out the same day. Save time for this important painless organizing step.
- Don’t replace items in the clear space with more.
- Document donations for tax purposes. Take photos or videos; create an inventory.
- Research what items actually worth and selling for.
- Utilize valuation charts and get reliable appraisals. Don’t take it personally if it’s worth less than you paid.
Painless Steps to Organizing – Room by room approach
Painless Steps to Organizing will help you to be less distracted or waste time. Rather than move all over the house and garage looking for all of your clothes, books or documents you will get an entire space decluttered and organized before moving on to another space. You likely know that you have related items in other spaces. Trust me, they are not going anywhere. If you cannot decide whether to keep or let an item go set it aside until the end of the session. Remember, you are making the easy decisions first and it is your 1st pass through. Keep the momentum going.
June 10, 2016Reasons Why You Don’t Organize Organize, organize, organize! It’s on the cover of almost every magazine these days. “3 Reasons Why You Don’t Organize” was my recent blog post, did you read it? If so, here are 3 more reasons why you may not organize: You don’t think that being organized is that important You don’t think that ... Read more
June 7, 20163 Reasons Why You Don’t Organize Organize, it seems impossible sometimes. There are many reasons why you don’t organize, let’s look at 3… Some people simply don’t like to organize. “It’s boring.” “It’s a waste of time.” ” I can think of 10 other things that I’d rather be doing.” Others don’t know how to get started. “It’s ... Read more
June 2, 2016Storage Do’s and Don’t s | 7 Absurdly Easy to Implement Organizing Tips Storage do’s and don’t s are important so that you don’t waste time, space, or money! Think about these organizing tips: Organizing Tip #1 – DON’T rent off-site storage for items that you know you will need in 6 months or less. Unless you ... Read more
June 1, 2016Vertical Space Organizing Tips Vertical space can be a life saver when it comes to getting organized. Hopefully you have items that you enjoy in your home and office. Not all of them need to be stored in drawers, storage containers, closets or on shelves. Years ago a client wanted to be able to see her ... Read more
May 31, 2016Creative Storage Solutions The purpose for creating storage solutions is not just to store more stuff! As a Professional Organizer I help you optimize your living and work space. This way you are able to enjoy your space. Have you tried these: Furniture with built-in storage Multipurpose furniture Nestling items Utilizing vertical & hidden spaces Storage solutions take into account several ... Read more
May 26, 2016Staging A House Is A Challenge, or is it? You want to sell your home, right? You’re ready and you’ve made that first decision. So why is it so difficult to get your home ready, stage it, and put on the market? There are generally 3 reasons that this may happen: Time management – You and your ... Read more
May 24, 2016Impossibly Easy Clutter-Busting Tips Impossibly Easy Clutter-Busting Tips will help you to declutter, because it doesn’t matter how you fold your things if you still have too much stuff! No matter which Professional Organizer you work with, which organizing products you purchase, or which organizing book that you read, you have to purge when you have ... Read more
May 19, 2016Book Denise to Speak Read more
May 16, 2016Time Blocking & Scheduling Date: May 18, 2016 Denise spoke at Keller Williams in Carlsbad on May 18th about time blocking and scheduling techniques that help busy professionals to re-claim their schedules and their sanity. Book Denise to Speak More Articles on Time Management Read more
May 11, 2016How do you know if your Time Management System is Working for you? Your time management and productivity are results- oriented. Aspects of it are either working or they are not. You can tell if it is working because you know that: you get things done before or by their deadline, you are feeling in control of your ... Read more