Rainy day organizing projects | Closets
Rainy day organizing projects | closets give you a sense of accomplishment. You can always schedule rainy day organizing projects even when it is not raining! You can organize by room but I suggest that you start small and declutter one closet at a time. Plan ahead so that you have uninterrupted time to declutter and re-organize. Most closets don’t need an entire do-over. It is a matter of taking the time to focus on the space using my “1-at-a-time rule“. When you declutter and organize 1 space at a time you are less likely to get overwhelmed more likely to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Easy, step by step tips for rainy day organizing projects | Closets
- Avoid buying anything in advance. You will likely end up with unused bins, containers, and hangers after you purge.
- Make sure that you have enough bags and containers for trash, recycling, shredding, donations, items that you can resell, clothing that needs dry cleaning or alterations.
- Take everything out of the closet.
- Clean and vacuum the closet and shelves, oil the hinges, replace dead light bulbs, or add motion detector lighting to the closet.
- Make quick, easy decisions to let go of anything that you no longer need, want, or that is in good repair and cannot be fixed at a reasonable cost.
- Sort “like” items into piles.
- Set the items that don’t “belong” in that closet aside for now. You will find a different place for them to “live” after you finish re-organizing the closet that you are working on.
- Contain smaller items that need to stay together in bins, baskets and clear containers. Label containers, as needed.
- Store frequently used items in easy to reach, visible places.
- Whenever possible, store heavy items at eye level to minimize lifting them from lower or higher levels.
- Utilize vertical spaces such as the inside of the closet door. Add hooks, wire shelves and cubbies to maximize use of vertical, shelf and floor space.
- Keep deep piles and stacks to a minimum.
- Return the items that you are keeping to the closet.
Get rid of everything that you are not keeping immediately. Put the donations and consignments into your car and take them away that day, if possible. Discard trash and recycling.
- Schedule a time to re-organize this closet in 6-8 months in order to maintain your well organized space.
Rainy day organizing projects | closets
Try to work on one closet at a time and then decide what is the next space that you want to clear? There is no right or wrong answer to the question. Some people like to work on categories of items such as just clothing or books that are all throughout the house. If this approach works for you that’s the right approach. Many of the women that I assist get distracted by gathering items from multiple spaces. That is why I suggest working in one space at a time. The Outside In Approach is all about making the task less overwhelming so that you can live a clutter-free life.
December 3, 2015Is chronic lateness plaguing you? Do you suffer from chronic lateness? If so, the next question is, are you okay with that or are you willing to learn time management? Most of us know someone who is always late, no matter what. In fact I know someone who is always late for personal appointments but never ... Read more
November 17, 2015What’s stopping you from… Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. We’re all smart, accomplished and capable but what is stopping you from doing what is on your list? being on time? meeting deadlines? starting that task? finishing that task? waking up at a regular time? going to sleep at the same time each night? planning for the week? saying “no”? saying “yes” to time ... Read more
November 9, 2015Organized During the Holidays – Tips Staying organized during the holidays may be a challenge for some of you. As your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer I want to help you keep things in perspective. As important as being organized is, I hope that you will find ways to streamline your expectations and responsibilities so ... Read more
November 2, 2015Organizing Tips – When you have too much Lots of women call asking me for organizing tips when they don’t know how to deal with all of the stuff that they have in their homes and offices. We accumulate things over time for a variety of reasons, but sometimes we don’t realize just how much we ... Read more
November 1, 2015Time Management – Are You Productive? Time management is a set of skills that can be learned. As a certified Time Management Coach I empower and teach individuals who want to improve their productivity by looking at two things: what they want and need to get done, and what they are already getting done.Instead of being ... Read more
October 18, 2015Eliminate Procrastination – A System That Works Do you have a task that isn’t urgent, but you need to do it? Do you find that you procrastinate about doing it even though you know that it would take you less time to do it than the time you’ve spent putting it off? We all do this ... Read more
September 22, 2015My Organizing Tips: Being organized does not equate to perfection or minimalism. What does it mean to be organized? Here is what some of the industry experts have to say: David Allen, “When something is “organized” it means simply that it’s where it needs to be. Where is that? In a place that reflects what the thing ... Read more
September 8, 20157 No-Fail Closet Organizing Tips All of my organizing tips including these 7 no-fail closet organizing tips are meant to be shared and not kept secret. No doubt some of you can, or at least want to try, do this by yourself before you consider working with a Personal/Professional Organizer or Image Consultant. When it comes ... Read more
August 27, 2015A Balanced Schedule Takes 5 Easy Steps! What does having a balanced schedule mean to you? Does it mean that at the end of the day you feel productive because you crossed everything off of your to-do list? Does it mean that you were able to manage your time to fit in work and exercise? Does ... Read more
August 26, 20153 Quick Ways to Create More Closet Space My San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer’s 3 quick ways to create more space in your closet don’t require that you remodel, install, or move. A closet makeover means downsizing the stuff in your closet and organizing what you keep. The only items that need to be in ... Read more