How to organize
How to organize for holidays? Begin by answering these 3 questions:
- What do you need to do?
- When does it need to be done by?
- What do you need in order to get it done?
Holiday organizing is easy when you make a plan, create a budget, and work backwards from realistic deadlines. Let’s make a plan by organizing your list of recipients. First, create or update your gift recipients’ list. Divide the list into 2 broad categories:
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will need to be shipped and by when.
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will be given in person, and when.
Now you can identify those on your list who:
- Prefer or need “stuff“
- Appreciate experiences and events rather than “stuff“
Brainstorm gift ideas such as favorite stores, hobbies, interests, and generally, the things that others would consider luxuries that they would not give to themselves. Here are my favorite gift ideas for 2016:
- Frequent flier points – transfer them to someone who wants to travel, including a visit to see you!
- Hotel points or timeshare trade – maybe you are not going to use your points or timeshare and someone would love a gift vacation.
- Memberships to zoos, museums, art and music societies.
- Personal services – massage, facial, manicure, pedicure.
- General services – car wash coupons, cleaning services, pet sitter.
- Gift cards – movie theaters, retail establishments.
- Homemade and handmade items – food items, baked goods, art and craft work such as knitting, painting.
- Consumables – stationary, gourmet cooking items, toiletries.
- Sentimental gifts, memorabilia – framed photos, children’s art work, souvenirs.
- Financial gifts – cash, investments, college fund.
- Charitable donations – what organizations or interests are your friends and family passionate about? Environmental, women and children, animal rights, etc.
As a Personal Professional Organizer I provide you with organizing tips that show you:
- How to organize, and
- How to minimize overwhelm with Time Management.
The holidays will be more enjoyable for you and others when you stick to a realistic plan and budget. Wishing you happy, clutter-free holidays.
August 24, 2015Organization Skills You have the organization skills that you need, everyone does. So how do you get started organizing? Plan, prepare, schedule time to organize, and employ my “1-at-a-time rule”. Looking at the before and after photos of the office that I worked in recently you can immediately see the big and little differences that organizing ... Read more
August 4, 2015Time Management My organizing tip today? time management first, and then get your “stuff” organized. Time management is the key to getting organized. When you manage how you use the time that you have available you will be able to organize your priorities, create a plan of action, and identify the resources that you will need ... Read more
August 3, 2015Productivity Coach Tip: Use Deadlines As a Productivity and Time Management Coach I can assure you that using deadlines will help you improve your productivity and overall time management. Some tasks and projects have deadlines, for instance, there is a deadline for enrollment and registration for school, for purchasing holiday gifts, and for filing taxes. Deadlines ... Read more
July 20, 2015Organizing travel tips… Organizing travel tips come in handy before, during, and after your trip. Your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer shares the essential to-do’s to ensure post-vacation organization. I promise that the benefits of organizing after this trip will make your next trip even easier! Unpack the day that you get home. Sort your laundry as ... Read more
July 18, 2015Organizing Tips for travel and vacation: Your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer’s Organizing tips for vacation…while you are enjoying the trip: 1. Declutter: You can reduce the clutter that you bring home! Take photos of business cards from shops and restaurants and leave the cards behind. Load the info into your contacts. 2. Organize your photos: Taking ... Read more
July 17, 2015Travel organizing tips that you can take on vacation! Your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer LOVES to travel! Here are my 4 top favorite planning, preparation and packing organizing tips for travel and an organized vacation: 1. How long are you going on vacation? Pack clothing for half the amount of time (except for underwear). 2. What ... Read more
July 15, 2015Does your limited thinking create clutter? Limited thinking about your ability to get organized and stay organized will prevent you from taking action, including getting help from a Professional Organizer. If you don’t believe that you can be an organized person it will likely create negative emotions. Clutter in your environment and your schedule has a ... Read more
July 9, 2015Which of your habits and behaviors contribute to clutter? We all have a plethora of behaviors that contribute to either being organized or to causing clutter. If you always put things back in their place when you are done using them that will of course help you stay organized. The benefits of this one organizing tip ... Read more
July 8, 2015Habits that cause clutter include: Your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer wants you to begin to check off the habits and behaviors that may cause clutter in your home and office. Do any of these look familiar: If so, try my 1-at-a-time rule and begin to eliminate just one “bad” habit. Practice it and reward ... Read more
July 7, 2015Do you know that clutter can be caused by habits that keep you disorganized? Behaviors can either facilitate or impede your ability to get organized and stay organized. Behaviors and habits that do not facilitate organization not only cause physical clutter, they can also cause lack of productivity and mental clutter. This isn’t necessarily intentional, in ... Read more