7 Stress-free Time Management Tips
7 stress-free time management tips sounds like an oxymoron. Recently I had some health issues that caused me to have to slow down, literally and physically. Its’ no coincidence that this was an opportunity (aka challenge) to reevaluate how I managed by time. When you are faced with responsibilities and deadlines, whether by choice or circumstance, consider the following:
- Goals – are they realistic?
- Priorities – what is important and necessary? Can the task be eliminated?
- Urgent versus non urgent – what would happen if it didn’t get done?
- Planning – can it be done at a later time?
- Delegation – can someone else do it?
- Streamline – can it be done in a different, less time-intensive way? Can some of it be done now and the rest later?
Stress-free time management means giving yourself a chance to step back from the situation, take stock, and reevaluate. Stress and worry never makes things get done better or faster. In fact, you may compromise not only accuracy but also your mental and physical health. Check out these 2 articles:
7 Stress-free time management tips
I like Deepak Chopra’s acronym “STOP” which stands for: , stop, take a break, observe, proceed. It’s important to get off of the hamster wheel and take stock. When we are so busy it becomes more difficult to make decisions under changing circumstances. Here are my top 7 stress-free time management tips:
1.Block out time. Take a breath, and gather your planner and to-do lists.
2. Sort tasks and appointments. Consider the following criteria:
- It has to be done and I want to do it.
- It has to be done and I don’t want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done but I want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done and I don’t want to do it.
3. Look at the tasks and appointments that are important and urgent. Which ones can be done quickly? Delegated? Postponed and rescheduled?
4. Look at tasks and appointments that are not important or urgent. What would happen if they didn’t get done? Can they be eliminated without consequences?
5. Reschedule tasks that are important to you, that you want or need to do, but are not urgent. Reschedule them for later.
6. Tasks that are important, need to be done by you, that need to be streamlined. Let go of perfectionism and embrace “good enough”. Focus on quality and accuracy rather than quantity whenever possible.
7. Learn to set boundaries. You cannot say “yes” to everything, nor should you. Stress-free time management tips will enable you to practice saying “later”, “not yet”, “I would like to but I cannot”, and simply “no”.
Think about 1 task or appointment that you can: purge, streamline, postpone or delegate. Practice these skills before you have to use them.
November 9, 2015Organized During the Holidays – Tips Staying organized during the holidays may be a challenge for some of you. As your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer I want to help you keep things in perspective. As important as being organized is, I hope that you will find ways to streamline your expectations and responsibilities so ... Read more
November 2, 2015Organizing Tips – When you have too much Lots of women call asking me for organizing tips when they don’t know how to deal with all of the stuff that they have in their homes and offices. We accumulate things over time for a variety of reasons, but sometimes we don’t realize just how much we ... Read more
November 1, 2015Time Management – Are You Productive? Time management is a set of skills that can be learned. As a certified Time Management Coach I empower and teach individuals who want to improve their productivity by looking at two things: what they want and need to get done, and what they are already getting done.Instead of being ... Read more
October 18, 2015Eliminate Procrastination – A System That Works Do you have a task that isn’t urgent, but you need to do it? Do you find that you procrastinate about doing it even though you know that it would take you less time to do it than the time you’ve spent putting it off? We all do this ... Read more
September 22, 2015My Organizing Tips: Being organized does not equate to perfection or minimalism. What does it mean to be organized? Here is what some of the industry experts have to say: David Allen, “When something is “organized” it means simply that it’s where it needs to be. Where is that? In a place that reflects what the thing ... Read more
September 8, 20157 No-Fail Closet Organizing Tips All of my organizing tips including these 7 no-fail closet organizing tips are meant to be shared and not kept secret. No doubt some of you can, or at least want to try, do this by yourself before you consider working with a Personal/Professional Organizer or Image Consultant. When it comes ... Read more
August 27, 2015A Balanced Schedule Takes 5 Easy Steps! What does having a balanced schedule mean to you? Does it mean that at the end of the day you feel productive because you crossed everything off of your to-do list? Does it mean that you were able to manage your time to fit in work and exercise? Does ... Read more
August 26, 20153 Quick Ways to Create More Closet Space My San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer’s 3 quick ways to create more space in your closet don’t require that you remodel, install, or move. A closet makeover means downsizing the stuff in your closet and organizing what you keep. The only items that need to be in ... Read more
August 24, 2015Organization Skills You have the organization skills that you need, everyone does. So how do you get started organizing? Plan, prepare, schedule time to organize, and employ my “1-at-a-time rule”. Looking at the before and after photos of the office that I worked in recently you can immediately see the big and little differences that organizing ... Read more
August 4, 2015Time Management My organizing tip today? time management first, and then get your “stuff” organized. Time management is the key to getting organized. When you manage how you use the time that you have available you will be able to organize your priorities, create a plan of action, and identify the resources that you will need ... Read more