Time Management, Productivity Tips
Time management, productivity tips are intended to make the road to efficiency smooth and easy to navigate. Most people are productive but feel as if they should be getting even more done. In this article I suggest 5 things that you can stop doing because they either waste time or disrupt your focus and workflow. Read more…
Time management, productivity tips #1: Stop answering every phone call
Time management, productivity tip #1 is to avoid answering every phone call can be disruptive to your workflow as well as your personal time. Remember that your friends and family will understand that you have work to do. Try these time management, productivity tips:
- If it is not urgent you can take advantage of the benefits of technology and utilize caller ID and voicemail.
- If you know that talking to a specific person will take a longer than usual time, schedule the call and agree to a time limit. You can say something like, “I want to catch up (or discuss this) and only have XX number of minutes. I hope that works for your schedule, too.”
- Customize your voicemail message and tell callers when you will be available. “I am usually available between the hours of XX and XX. If you are not able to call then let me know a good time to reach you. If I am on another call I will return yours shortly. Thank you for your patience.”
- Remember, you do not need to leave a reason why. Then be sure to be available during those hours to receive and return calls.
Time management, productivity tips #2: Stop writing long emails, text messages
Time management, productivity tip #2 addresses the original intent of emails and text messages. That is, these were designed to be brief and to the point.
- Limit email messages to 1 subject at a time. This applies to personal as well as work messages.
- Use the subject line to indicate what it is regarding and for what purpose. For instance, “FYI Relevant article”, or “Review and respond by (date)”.
- Emails are more efficient if limited to 1 paragraph and if appropriate, use bullet points.
- Text messages are intended to be brief and even cryptic. Ideally, avoid group texts which make tracking individual responses more difficult.
- Don’t assume everyone knows text abbreviations and spell it out the first time.
Time management, productivity tips #3: Stop “winging it”
Time management, productivity tip #3 will help you to prioritize and get important things done. If you want to do something that is important to you or others you have to make time (preferably schedule adequate time) to do it. Waiting for when you have a “free moment/day/weekend” is not good planning.
- Pick a task or project and estimate how much time you will need to do it. If you want to talk to a long distance friend, schedule the call with her and set aside an hour so you are not rushed. When you schedule the time it means that you are present for the call and not multi-tasking. This is not the hour to be cooking, scanning social media, or driving.
- Another tip is to schedule unscheduled time for unexpected situations.
Time management, productivity tips #4: Stop procrastinating
Time management, productivity tip #4 is to stop procrastinating. Procrastination is a common obstacle to time management and productivity. You can change this behavior gradually.
- Notice when you tend to procrastinate. If you tend to do that more often in the morning, save those tasks for a later time if possible.
- Observe what types of tasks you procrastinate doing most often. If they are tasks you don’t enjoy you can do them first to get them done and then reward yourself with something more pleasurable. If you don’t have to do them, delegate them!
- If you think that you work better under pressure, consider whether your procrastination impacts others and your credibility. Is putting things off worth either?
Time management, productivity tips #5: Stop making to-do lists
Time management, productivity tip #5 is about your never-ending to-do lists. Everyone has an opinion on how long a to-do list should be. One source claims that your list should not have more than 3 items on it. My Outside In Approach is to STOP making to-do lists completely.
- Write your to-do’s into your planner.
- What day and time would be best to get XX done?
- How much time will you need to do it, or a portion of it?
- Schedule it and do it.
This is a radical approach for some people, especially those who are creative types and reject using a planner. The alternative is to continue doing what you are doing and feeling stressed or unproductive. Try something different to get different results.
5 obvious signs that your to-do list is not working for you:
- You add to your list before the items on it are completed.
- You keep rewriting your lists.
- You have multiple lists and sticky notes, sometimes with the same items on them.
- You feel stressed, overwhelmed, unproductive or defeated.
- Your to-do list is not always visible to you.
Help for Time Management, Productivity
Time management skills are a set of learned behaviors, or habits. Want to create Optimal Habits? Consider working with a Time Management Productivity Coach today!
December 3, 2015Is chronic lateness plaguing you? Do you suffer from chronic lateness? If so, the next question is, are you okay with that or are you willing to learn time management? Most of us know someone who is always late, no matter what. In fact I know someone who is always late for personal appointments but never ... Read more
November 17, 2015What’s stopping you from… Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. We’re all smart, accomplished and capable but what is stopping you from doing what is on your list? being on time? meeting deadlines? starting that task? finishing that task? waking up at a regular time? going to sleep at the same time each night? planning for the week? saying “no”? saying “yes” to time ... Read more
November 9, 2015Organized During the Holidays – Tips Staying organized during the holidays may be a challenge for some of you. As your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer I want to help you keep things in perspective. As important as being organized is, I hope that you will find ways to streamline your expectations and responsibilities so ... Read more
November 2, 2015Organizing Tips – When you have too much Lots of women call asking me for organizing tips when they don’t know how to deal with all of the stuff that they have in their homes and offices. We accumulate things over time for a variety of reasons, but sometimes we don’t realize just how much we ... Read more
November 1, 2015Time Management – Are You Productive? Time management is a set of skills that can be learned. As a certified Time Management Coach I empower and teach individuals who want to improve their productivity by looking at two things: what they want and need to get done, and what they are already getting done.Instead of being ... Read more
October 18, 2015Eliminate Procrastination – A System That Works Do you have a task that isn’t urgent, but you need to do it? Do you find that you procrastinate about doing it even though you know that it would take you less time to do it than the time you’ve spent putting it off? We all do this ... Read more
September 22, 2015My Organizing Tips: Being organized does not equate to perfection or minimalism. What does it mean to be organized? Here is what some of the industry experts have to say: David Allen, “When something is “organized” it means simply that it’s where it needs to be. Where is that? In a place that reflects what the thing ... Read more
September 8, 20157 No-Fail Closet Organizing Tips All of my organizing tips including these 7 no-fail closet organizing tips are meant to be shared and not kept secret. No doubt some of you can, or at least want to try, do this by yourself before you consider working with a Personal/Professional Organizer or Image Consultant. When it comes ... Read more
August 27, 2015A Balanced Schedule Takes 5 Easy Steps! What does having a balanced schedule mean to you? Does it mean that at the end of the day you feel productive because you crossed everything off of your to-do list? Does it mean that you were able to manage your time to fit in work and exercise? Does ... Read more
August 26, 20153 Quick Ways to Create More Closet Space My San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer’s 3 quick ways to create more space in your closet don’t require that you remodel, install, or move. A closet makeover means downsizing the stuff in your closet and organizing what you keep. The only items that need to be in ... Read more