How to organize
How to organize for holidays? Begin by answering these 3 questions:
- What do you need to do?
- When does it need to be done by?
- What do you need in order to get it done?
Holiday organizing is easy when you make a plan, create a budget, and work backwards from realistic deadlines. Let’s make a plan by organizing your list of recipients. First, create or update your gift recipients’ list. Divide the list into 2 broad categories:
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will need to be shipped and by when.
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will be given in person, and when.
Now you can identify those on your list who:
- Prefer or need “stuff“
- Appreciate experiences and events rather than “stuff“
Brainstorm gift ideas such as favorite stores, hobbies, interests, and generally, the things that others would consider luxuries that they would not give to themselves. Here are my favorite gift ideas for 2016:
- Frequent flier points – transfer them to someone who wants to travel, including a visit to see you!
- Hotel points or timeshare trade – maybe you are not going to use your points or timeshare and someone would love a gift vacation.
- Memberships to zoos, museums, art and music societies.
- Personal services – massage, facial, manicure, pedicure.
- General services – car wash coupons, cleaning services, pet sitter.
- Gift cards – movie theaters, retail establishments.
- Homemade and handmade items – food items, baked goods, art and craft work such as knitting, painting.
- Consumables – stationary, gourmet cooking items, toiletries.
- Sentimental gifts, memorabilia – framed photos, children’s art work, souvenirs.
- Financial gifts – cash, investments, college fund.
- Charitable donations – what organizations or interests are your friends and family passionate about? Environmental, women and children, animal rights, etc.
As a Personal Professional Organizer I provide you with organizing tips that show you:
- How to organize, and
- How to minimize overwhelm with Time Management.
The holidays will be more enjoyable for you and others when you stick to a realistic plan and budget. Wishing you happy, clutter-free holidays.
November 10, 2014Organizing Products The best organizing products are the ones that can be used for multiple purposes and/or in multiple settings. I personally use several of the products that I sell on my website as well as recommend them to my organizing and time management clients.This simple item has organizing and time management benefits. Any product that ... Read more
November 4, 2014Working as a Personal Wardrobe Consultant is very gratifying… Clients smile at themselves in the mirror, and as we expand their wardrobe clients tell me, “I would never have thought about putting these (clothing) together.” I see them relax and become more playful in their walk, and they tend to stand up a little straighter. We ... Read more
October 31, 2014Wardrobe Consulting Tips | How To Create Outfits As a Wardrobe and Image Consultant I share tips for how to expand your wardrobe by creating “new” outfits from the same basic pieces. Wardrobe Consulting Tip #1: Just because you bought a suit doesn’t mean that you always have to wear the top and bottom together. You can ... Read more
October 30, 2014The 5 key elements you can use to learn how to create outfits: As a Wardrobe and Image Consultant with clients from San Diego to the east coast, I love to show women how to create outfits to expand their wardrobe, and update their look. You can do this with a “Shop In Your Closet” session ... Read more
October 29, 2014As a Professional Organizer I often hear that the challenge is not getting organized, it’s how to stay organized! Since organizing is an ongoing process you want to accept that you will need to practice organizing behaviors, because creating the habit of organizing is how to stay organized. Organized individuals know how to stay organized ... Read more
October 13, 2014An organized closet space includes storing the items that may be needed without taking up extra space. Living in a place like San Diego attracts visitors and with the holidays approaching I want plenty of space for my guests. You don’t necessarily have to be a Professional Organizer to know that clearing the clutter and ... Read more
October 8, 2014As a Personal Organizer in San Diego I have some favorite products that I use and like to recommend to others. The first time I heard about packing cubes I wondered if they were necessary. I’m not only sold on how easy they make packing and unpacking, but I offer these amazing Organizing Products on my ... Read more
October 1, 2014As a Personal Organizer and Time Management Coach I can tell you that your organizing and time management needs change with the seasons. It is getting dark earlier and soon the clocks will change. How does that impact you and your family, your schedules, and routines? Do you tend to feel more sluggish this time ... Read more
September 19, 2014Which is it, are you the disorganized boss, or is it the employee who is disorganized? One sure sign of disorganization is poor time management, and the result is diminished productivity. It doesn’t matter if it is the boss or the employee who is disorganized since both of your styles affect one another and your ... Read more
September 18, 2014Here is an important tip for the boss who feels disorganized: Get to the point! Your team members will perceive you as more organized if your communication is straightforward and succinct. However, if your thoughts and communication are disorganized it will impact your team members and employees in various ways: Ability to follow directions Understanding expectations Capacity to ... Read more