7 Stress-free Time Management Tips
7 stress-free time management tips sounds like an oxymoron. Recently I had some health issues that caused me to have to slow down, literally and physically. Its’ no coincidence that this was an opportunity (aka challenge) to reevaluate how I managed by time. When you are faced with responsibilities and deadlines, whether by choice or circumstance, consider the following:
- Goals – are they realistic?
- Priorities – what is important and necessary? Can the task be eliminated?
- Urgent versus non urgent – what would happen if it didn’t get done?
- Planning – can it be done at a later time?
- Delegation – can someone else do it?
- Streamline – can it be done in a different, less time-intensive way? Can some of it be done now and the rest later?
Stress-free time management means giving yourself a chance to step back from the situation, take stock, and reevaluate. Stress and worry never makes things get done better or faster. In fact, you may compromise not only accuracy but also your mental and physical health. Check out these 2 articles:
7 Stress-free time management tips
I like Deepak Chopra’s acronym “STOP” which stands for: , stop, take a break, observe, proceed. It’s important to get off of the hamster wheel and take stock. When we are so busy it becomes more difficult to make decisions under changing circumstances. Here are my top 7 stress-free time management tips:
1.Block out time. Take a breath, and gather your planner and to-do lists.
2. Sort tasks and appointments. Consider the following criteria:
- It has to be done and I want to do it.
- It has to be done and I don’t want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done but I want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done and I don’t want to do it.
3. Look at the tasks and appointments that are important and urgent. Which ones can be done quickly? Delegated? Postponed and rescheduled?
4. Look at tasks and appointments that are not important or urgent. What would happen if they didn’t get done? Can they be eliminated without consequences?
5. Reschedule tasks that are important to you, that you want or need to do, but are not urgent. Reschedule them for later.
6. Tasks that are important, need to be done by you, that need to be streamlined. Let go of perfectionism and embrace “good enough”. Focus on quality and accuracy rather than quantity whenever possible.
7. Learn to set boundaries. You cannot say “yes” to everything, nor should you. Stress-free time management tips will enable you to practice saying “later”, “not yet”, “I would like to but I cannot”, and simply “no”.
Think about 1 task or appointment that you can: purge, streamline, postpone or delegate. Practice these skills before you have to use them.
May 2, 2015Time Management and Scheduling As a Time Management Coach I teach a variety of tools. The most versatile one at your disposal is scheduling. You can schedule everything from meetings to some of the to-do’s on your list. If something doesn’t have a deadline you can create one and put it in your schedule. Time management ... Read more
May 1, 2015Personal Organizing Tips My personal organizing tips this month will guide you towards how to organize and use your time. I want to inspire you to be more present, in the moment and less self critical. Rather than set your sights on what you think that you should do, what’s on your to-do list, summer plans, ... Read more
April 16, 2015Wardrobe and Image Makeover You know what makes me the happiest? When I show a woman how to Shop in Her Closet © and dress for the body she is in today. She gazes at her reflection in the mirror with the widest smile and says, “I never thought that I would look good in this.” ... Read more
April 13, 2015San Diego Personal Organizer takes a mindful approach. Mindfulness, including the beginner’s mind, is described in Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. This expert in the practice of mindfulness describes the beginner’s mind as “a mind that is willing to see everything as if for the first time.” (2013) He goes on to explain that the ... Read more
April 12, 2015If you are familiar with the practice of mindfulness you might have heard the term, “Beginner’s Mind”. In Full Catastrophe Living Jon Kabat-Zinn describes this as “a mind that is willing to see everything as if for the first time.” (2013) He goes on to explain that the beginner’s mind enables us to be receptive ... Read more
April 9, 2015Disorganized Life? Is your life disorganized, or are you disorganizing your life? As your Professional Organizer, let’s talk about situational disorganization versus permanent disorganization. If your life is disorganized as a result of significant change(s), whether sudden or expected, you may be experiencing situational disorganization. Major life transitions can cause disruption even for the most organized individual. ... Read more
March 23, 2015Are you ready for organizing your life? How do you know when you are ready to organize? As a Personal Organizer I know when you are ready for organizing your life because I am trained to listen carefully to what you say and even what you don’t say. I can sense that you are ready from ... Read more
March 15, 2015Personal Organizer’s Time Management Tips for Work-Life Balance As a Personal Organizer I help others to manage their time in order to have more of a work-life balance. Time Management is NOT about getting more done and cramming every minute of your waking day. Time Management is about achieving a work-life balance by creating time for ... Read more
March 6, 2015Those who know how to organize have a plan! As the end of winter approaches you may be looking for organizing tips to help you get a jump start on spring. Now is always the right time to get organized. Before you go out and buy those storage containers, bins and labels it’s wise to have ... Read more
March 5, 2015How long will this take? How to reorganize your life! This month is the perfect time to check in with your goals for 2015 and develop a strategy for how to reorganize your life. Did you intend for this to be the year that you would be more organized, more effective with time management, and be able ... Read more