Rainy day organizing projects | Closets
Rainy day organizing projects | closets give you a sense of accomplishment. You can always schedule rainy day organizing projects even when it is not raining! You can organize by room but I suggest that you start small and declutter one closet at a time. Plan ahead so that you have uninterrupted time to declutter and re-organize. Most closets don’t need an entire do-over. It is a matter of taking the time to focus on the space using my “1-at-a-time rule“. When you declutter and organize 1 space at a time you are less likely to get overwhelmed more likely to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Easy, step by step tips for rainy day organizing projects | Closets
- Avoid buying anything in advance. You will likely end up with unused bins, containers, and hangers after you purge.
- Make sure that you have enough bags and containers for trash, recycling, shredding, donations, items that you can resell, clothing that needs dry cleaning or alterations.
- Take everything out of the closet.
- Clean and vacuum the closet and shelves, oil the hinges, replace dead light bulbs, or add motion detector lighting to the closet.
- Make quick, easy decisions to let go of anything that you no longer need, want, or that is in good repair and cannot be fixed at a reasonable cost.
- Sort “like” items into piles.
- Set the items that don’t “belong” in that closet aside for now. You will find a different place for them to “live” after you finish re-organizing the closet that you are working on.
- Contain smaller items that need to stay together in bins, baskets and clear containers. Label containers, as needed.
- Store frequently used items in easy to reach, visible places.
- Whenever possible, store heavy items at eye level to minimize lifting them from lower or higher levels.
- Utilize vertical spaces such as the inside of the closet door. Add hooks, wire shelves and cubbies to maximize use of vertical, shelf and floor space.
- Keep deep piles and stacks to a minimum.
- Return the items that you are keeping to the closet.
Get rid of everything that you are not keeping immediately. Put the donations and consignments into your car and take them away that day, if possible. Discard trash and recycling.
- Schedule a time to re-organize this closet in 6-8 months in order to maintain your well organized space.
Rainy day organizing projects | closets
Try to work on one closet at a time and then decide what is the next space that you want to clear? There is no right or wrong answer to the question. Some people like to work on categories of items such as just clothing or books that are all throughout the house. If this approach works for you that’s the right approach. Many of the women that I assist get distracted by gathering items from multiple spaces. That is why I suggest working in one space at a time. The Outside In Approach is all about making the task less overwhelming so that you can live a clutter-free life.
December 12, 2016Organizing Holiday Cards Organizing holiday cards to mail to family and friends is not an outdated tradition and yet it seems that many of us send less each year than we used to previously. This year I’m going to sending some, to a select few, and share my organizing holiday card tips with you. Organizing holiday cards ... Read more
December 11, 2016How to organize How to organize for holidays? Begin by answering these 3 questions: What do you need to do? When does it need to be done by? What do you need in order to get it done? Holiday organizing is easy when you make a plan, create a budget, and work backwards from realistic deadlines. Let’s make a plan ... Read more
November 30, 2016Managing time Managing time is the 1 skill set you want to develop and refine regardless of whether you are a student, working or retired. Time management and 29 Ways to Be Generous With Your Time. All month I have been sharing easy to tips for managing time and ways to be more generous with it. ... Read more
November 28, 2016Useful Declutter Tips Useful Declutter Tips include the many ways to let go of the items that you no longer need. This is 1 of 29 ways to be generous with your time. With a little bit of time management you can: Recycle items such as paper, glass, metal, electronics, batteries, light bulbs . Discard items that cannot ... Read more
November 27, 2016Time management tip If you are using my time management tips then you are finding ways to: Save more time. Create greater work-life balance. Be generous to yourself and others. The benefits of time management are to enable you to identify more satisfying ways to use your time and prioritize. Today’s time management tip is to: Save time in order ... Read more
November 26, 2016Managing time Managing time is easier than you think, that’s why I like to share my organizing and time management tips. Managing time is the best way to save time to be able to be generous with it. Time management is like space organizing, you only have so many waking hours and only so much space. ... Read more
November 22, 2016Time management tips Time management tips are meant to help you choose to make time to be generous towards yourself and others. I compare it to the instructions that we get from flight attendants, put on your oxygen mask first. Here is an article, 7 Tips For Self-Care (it says that it’s geared towards nurses but ... Read more
November 21, 2016Manage time Manage time to do those things that are important to you. If you look at the major areas of your life you can assess which area might be neglected. Do you manage time to address: Personal, self nurturing Relationships with family, friends Spiritual, religious Health, well being Career, work Educational, professional development Finance Household If time management is not your strong suit then ... Read more
November 20, 2016Organizing tips for errands Organizing tips for errands from your San Diego Personal Professional Organizer will help you to save time and be more organized. In my series, “29 Ways To Be More Generous” I’ve included a variety of organizing tips and time savers to help you to use your time wisely, in a balanced way, and ... Read more
November 19, 2016Ways to be generous with your time Ways to be generous with your time is this month’s theme. We need to make the connection between how organization and time management benefits ourselves and others. If you want to be organized and make the most of your time you need to be able to: Prioritize and re-prioritize. Be flexible ... Read more