How to organize
How to organize for holidays? Begin by answering these 3 questions:
- What do you need to do?
- When does it need to be done by?
- What do you need in order to get it done?
Holiday organizing is easy when you make a plan, create a budget, and work backwards from realistic deadlines. Let’s make a plan by organizing your list of recipients. First, create or update your gift recipients’ list. Divide the list into 2 broad categories:
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will need to be shipped and by when.
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will be given in person, and when.
Now you can identify those on your list who:
- Prefer or need “stuff“
- Appreciate experiences and events rather than “stuff“
Brainstorm gift ideas such as favorite stores, hobbies, interests, and generally, the things that others would consider luxuries that they would not give to themselves. Here are my favorite gift ideas for 2016:
- Frequent flier points – transfer them to someone who wants to travel, including a visit to see you!
- Hotel points or timeshare trade – maybe you are not going to use your points or timeshare and someone would love a gift vacation.
- Memberships to zoos, museums, art and music societies.
- Personal services – massage, facial, manicure, pedicure.
- General services – car wash coupons, cleaning services, pet sitter.
- Gift cards – movie theaters, retail establishments.
- Homemade and handmade items – food items, baked goods, art and craft work such as knitting, painting.
- Consumables – stationary, gourmet cooking items, toiletries.
- Sentimental gifts, memorabilia – framed photos, children’s art work, souvenirs.
- Financial gifts – cash, investments, college fund.
- Charitable donations – what organizations or interests are your friends and family passionate about? Environmental, women and children, animal rights, etc.
As a Personal Professional Organizer I provide you with organizing tips that show you:
- How to organize, and
- How to minimize overwhelm with Time Management.
The holidays will be more enjoyable for you and others when you stick to a realistic plan and budget. Wishing you happy, clutter-free holidays.
June 18, 2012Love to travel but hate to pack? Here are some organizing tips and ideas that promise to lighten your load: 1. Use a backpack for your carry on. The weight will be distributed evenly and allow your hands to be free. 2. Bring an e-reader instead of books and magazines (don’t forget your charger). 3. Find multi-use products ... Read more
June 15, 2012Travel should be easy and fun. If it is business-related, then easy and productive! I hate doing laundry when I travel almost as much as I hate packing too much. One of the ways to deal with this challenge is to invest in a collection of quick drying undergarments. They can be hand washed and ... Read more
June 5, 2012Okay I admit it, I’m not much for camping but I do love to travel. I highly recommend purchasing some of these great Eagle Creek cubes and tubes. They help organize and condense your clothing and smaller items inside your luggage. I even use them for phone chargers, etc. The cubes make items easily visible, ... Read more
June 4, 2012Outside In Organizer and Makeovers helps you organize for any occasion and travel is no exception! If you travel often then you know it can be a hassle to pack a lot. Consider organizing your travel wardrobe using these tips: 1. Wrinkle factor: pack only clothes that don’t wrinkle and don’t require ironing. You’ll be able ... Read more
June 3, 2012Tip #1: Work backwards! the best way to be prepared for your departure is to follow this simple travel tip. What needs to be done before the day you depart? Make a list for everything that needs to be finished at home, work, etc. Manage your time so that you don’t save everything until the ... Read more
June 2, 2012Here are 3 easy ways to create your travel wardrobe: First: Mixing and matching pieces is an easy way to create more outfits from less items. You can dress up jeans and walking shorts for evening by changing shoes, accessories, and tops. Second: Layering pieces makes packing easier. You can wear a tank top under a sheer ... Read more
June 1, 2012“It seems like I always forget something when I travel.” What is the best way to create a packing list? San Diego Outside In Organizer and Makeovers has great tips for customized packing lists. You can sign up and get 1 specifically for an event, destination, or general travel. The lists include: 1. Clothing 2. Non-clothing items 3. Things ... Read more
May 22, 2012Is your “stuff” taking over the house or office? Are you unable to find the space to park in your garage? Do you avoid opening the hall closet for fear of something falling on your head? If any of this sounds like you or someone you know maybe it’s time to claim your space. Hiring an ... Read more
May 21, 2012Summer is a great time to organize small spaces. Whether it’s a spice cupboard or a closet you want to purge, sort, categorize…all in a way that makes sense to you. Consider these 3 criteria to get the best results: 1. Access – store items you use often in easy to reach places for safe, efficient ... Read more
May 13, 2012As an Image Consultant and wardrobe makeover specialist I can visualize how minor changes can enhance individuals who are already quite beautiful. Did you ever consider hiring a virtual image consultant? Recently, I was seated next to this woman at a professional meeting. We began talking about how success motivates one’s desire to change, and conversely, ... Read more