7 Stress-free Time Management Tips
7 stress-free time management tips sounds like an oxymoron. Recently I had some health issues that caused me to have to slow down, literally and physically. Its’ no coincidence that this was an opportunity (aka challenge) to reevaluate how I managed by time. When you are faced with responsibilities and deadlines, whether by choice or circumstance, consider the following:
- Goals – are they realistic?
- Priorities – what is important and necessary? Can the task be eliminated?
- Urgent versus non urgent – what would happen if it didn’t get done?
- Planning – can it be done at a later time?
- Delegation – can someone else do it?
- Streamline – can it be done in a different, less time-intensive way? Can some of it be done now and the rest later?
Stress-free time management means giving yourself a chance to step back from the situation, take stock, and reevaluate. Stress and worry never makes things get done better or faster. In fact, you may compromise not only accuracy but also your mental and physical health. Check out these 2 articles:
7 Stress-free time management tips
I like Deepak Chopra’s acronym “STOP” which stands for: , stop, take a break, observe, proceed. It’s important to get off of the hamster wheel and take stock. When we are so busy it becomes more difficult to make decisions under changing circumstances. Here are my top 7 stress-free time management tips:
1.Block out time. Take a breath, and gather your planner and to-do lists.
2. Sort tasks and appointments. Consider the following criteria:
- It has to be done and I want to do it.
- It has to be done and I don’t want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done but I want to do it.
- It doesn’t have to be done and I don’t want to do it.
3. Look at the tasks and appointments that are important and urgent. Which ones can be done quickly? Delegated? Postponed and rescheduled?
4. Look at tasks and appointments that are not important or urgent. What would happen if they didn’t get done? Can they be eliminated without consequences?
5. Reschedule tasks that are important to you, that you want or need to do, but are not urgent. Reschedule them for later.
6. Tasks that are important, need to be done by you, that need to be streamlined. Let go of perfectionism and embrace “good enough”. Focus on quality and accuracy rather than quantity whenever possible.
7. Learn to set boundaries. You cannot say “yes” to everything, nor should you. Stress-free time management tips will enable you to practice saying “later”, “not yet”, “I would like to but I cannot”, and simply “no”.
Think about 1 task or appointment that you can: purge, streamline, postpone or delegate. Practice these skills before you have to use them.
November 18, 2016Time Management, Music Time management has many benefits. When you don’t have a system for time management, or use the system that you have, the harmful consequences become evident quickly. Here are 7 examples of how poor time management can harm you: Well being – When you are struggling with time management it will negatively affect your ... Read more
November 17, 2016Organizing, Time Management Tips Organizing, time management tips should include time for actions that easily fit into your daily, weekly and monthly schedule. These actions, or small gestures, require vry little time and have BIG benefits to you and others. Time management is: Learned behavior. A set of functional skills. Practiced routines that becomes a habits. 29 ways to be ... Read more
November 15, 2016Time Management Tips 29 Ways to Be Generous With Your Time. There are time management tips that will take as little as 2 seconds and up to 120 minutes. Today’s time management tip is to: Take 5-15 minutes to buy an extra bunch of flower for a friend or neighbor. Yesterday I wrote a tip about ... Read more
November 14, 2016Time Saver Tips Time saver tips are ways to help you to save time and reallocate how you choose to use it. What if you could use at least some of your time every day for being generous to yourself and others? Time savers can be mood boosters and productivity enhancers. This month I am blogging ... Read more
November 13, 2016Get something done | Time management tip Get something done. Always remember that you have to make the time to get something done, it’s just that simple. Time Management Tip: Wake up 15 minutes earlier than you usually do every day and plan to do something that you think you never have time to do. The ... Read more
November 12, 2016Time Management | 29 Ways to Be Generous Time management tips this month are all about how to manage your time and be generous with it towards yourself and others. Today’s Time Management Tip: Sleep in an extra 15 minutes. Consider time management strategies that allow you to eliminate or shorten tasks in order to gain an ... Read more
November 11, 2016Scheduling unscheduled time Scheduling unscheduled time? As a Time Management Coach I’m all about time management of course, but not for the sole purpose of just getting more checked off of your to do list. My emphasis is about managing your time in order to have more work-life balance which means: Time for self care. Time for your ... Read more
November 10, 2016Time Savers Time savers, everyone is seeking ways to save time. But why do we lust for ways to save more time? Everyone will have their own reasons, here are the most common ones: Get more done Feel productive Get places faster Get a raise or promotion Feel appreciated Time savers are beneficial when they are have a purpose and are kept ... Read more
November 9, 2016Organizing, Time Management Tip Organizing, time management tip in my series of posts about organizing, time management tips and work-life balance I focus on how to be generous with time. That is a key reason for time management. Organizing, time management tip #7 is to Send an old photo of you and a friend or family ... Read more
November 8, 2016Work-life balance Work-life balance requires effective time management skills. Time management skills such as prioritizing, planning and time estimation are critical for achieving work-life balance. Today’s time management tip is: Call someone special for no particular reason. It sounds easy but does it happen? We are social creatures and need relationships for a balanced life. Think ... Read more