Being organized | Why
Being organized is a way of thinking, doing and feeling. We all know that change is inevitable and routines help us to feel more organized and productive. Why organize if change is inevitable then? One of the major benefits of being organized is that having structure and systems in place enables us to get back on track more easily when change occurs. Being organized can also keep you from giving up too quickly and prevent feeling as if you are not being productive.
Being organized | Structures & Systems
Being organized includes some of the following basic structures and systems:
- A weekly calendar and monthly planner. Which 1 is best for you? The 1 that you will use!
- An organized filing system, including a Tickler File that aligns with your calendar. Declutter your piles of paper then organize them in a way that you can always put your hands on what you need, when you need it.
- Scheduling time to plan on at the end of every day and on a weekly basis for the week ahead
- Designated specific spaces for all of your items to “live” in. Try to live by the saying, “A place for everything and everything in its place.”
- Regular decluttering time for your home and office on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Maintaining a daily self care regimen which includes adequate sleep, hydration, nutrition, and exercise. Give yourself permission to take care of your mind and body.
Being organized | Ways to get started
Being organized first means getting organized and then maintaining to stay organized. There is an abundance of great information about organizing and time management. Here are 8 ways to get started:
- Read books and articles about organizing and time management strategies
- Hire a Professional Organizer
- Go to workshops and presentations
- Have an accountability coach; this can be your PO, a friend, a coworker, or a family member
- Write down your BIG goals and then identify the top 3
- Prioritize these 3 goals
- Write down mini goals to achieve your 1st priority goal; schedule time to get each 1 done
- Create a plan of action with timelines for completion
Start again with each new goal. Being organized is a process similar to being fit. You create new habits, practice them on a daily basis, and maintain them. It’s not that simple for everyone but it is achievable.
Being organized | 3 Organizing Mindset Principles
Being organized isn’t something that we are born being able to do. It is a way of thinking (mindset) and doing (action). These 3 organizing mindset principles can be learned:
- Less is more. If you over commit yourself and have too much to do you will not be as organized or productive. Learn to postpone non-urgent tasks and eliminate time wasters. Try to delegate tasks that you
- Consistency supersedes everything. Don’t procrastinate about organizing. A little organizing on a regular basis has a positive cumulative effect.
- Uni-task. Uni-tasking rather than multi-tasking increases productivity, accuracy and efficiency. This mindset will allow you to focus and see the results of your effort and attention.
Got questions? Don’t hesitate to contact me for answers.
November 21, 2016Manage time Manage time to do those things that are important to you. If you look at the major areas of your life you can assess which area might be neglected. Do you manage time to address: Personal, self nurturing Relationships with family, friends Spiritual, religious Health, well being Career, work Educational, professional development Finance Household If time management is not your strong suit then ... Read more
November 20, 2016Organizing tips for errands Organizing tips for errands from your San Diego Personal Professional Organizer will help you to save time and be more organized. In my series, “29 Ways To Be More Generous” I’ve included a variety of organizing tips and time savers to help you to use your time wisely, in a balanced way, and ... Read more
November 19, 2016Ways to be generous with your time Ways to be generous with your time is this month’s theme. We need to make the connection between how organization and time management benefits ourselves and others. If you want to be organized and make the most of your time you need to be able to: Prioritize and re-prioritize. Be flexible ... Read more
November 18, 2016Time Management, Music Time management has many benefits. When you don’t have a system for time management, or use the system that you have, the harmful consequences become evident quickly. Here are 7 examples of how poor time management can harm you: Well being – When you are struggling with time management it will negatively affect your ... Read more
November 17, 2016Organizing, Time Management Tips Organizing, time management tips should include time for actions that easily fit into your daily, weekly and monthly schedule. These actions, or small gestures, require vry little time and have BIG benefits to you and others. Time management is: Learned behavior. A set of functional skills. Practiced routines that becomes a habits. 29 ways to be ... Read more
November 15, 2016Time Management Tips 29 Ways to Be Generous With Your Time. There are time management tips that will take as little as 2 seconds and up to 120 minutes. Today’s time management tip is to: Take 5-15 minutes to buy an extra bunch of flower for a friend or neighbor. Yesterday I wrote a tip about ... Read more
November 14, 2016Time Saver Tips Time saver tips are ways to help you to save time and reallocate how you choose to use it. What if you could use at least some of your time every day for being generous to yourself and others? Time savers can be mood boosters and productivity enhancers. This month I am blogging ... Read more
November 13, 2016Get something done | Time management tip Get something done. Always remember that you have to make the time to get something done, it’s just that simple. Time Management Tip: Wake up 15 minutes earlier than you usually do every day and plan to do something that you think you never have time to do. The ... Read more
November 12, 2016Time Management | 29 Ways to Be Generous Time management tips this month are all about how to manage your time and be generous with it towards yourself and others. Today’s Time Management Tip: Sleep in an extra 15 minutes. Consider time management strategies that allow you to eliminate or shorten tasks in order to gain an ... Read more
November 11, 2016Scheduling unscheduled time Scheduling unscheduled time? As a Time Management Coach I’m all about time management of course, but not for the sole purpose of just getting more checked off of your to do list. My emphasis is about managing your time in order to have more work-life balance which means: Time for self care. Time for your ... Read more