Back to school organizing tips
Back to school organizing tips for older students are imperative as young adults are expected to be more independent. As a Professional Organizer and Time Management Coach (and former educator) my definition of being independent requires that the older student practice 3 critical life skills:
- Time management
- Self care
Back to school organizing tips for older students begin with time management. As students leave high school and plan to enter either a trade school, college or employment it is more critical than ever to know how to:
- Plan, prepare – The older student needs to practice how to plan ahead and prepare independently. They can no longer rely upon their parents, teachers, employers or friends to tell them how to plan and prepare. In order to effectively plan students need a reliable time management system that they will use on a daily basis. This may include using a planner, setting alerts, and utilizing checklists. Here is a helpful article about time management tips.
- Prioritize, re-prioritize – The older student will have to learn to balance competing interests such as school assignments versus social invitations. Time management requires establishing priorities while being flexible when new situations arise. The student may have to re-prioritize when confronted with an unexpected illness or family emergency. Successful prioritizing depends upon effective planning.
- Meet deadlines – Deadlines are helpful for completing tasks and projects. Read my post about deadlines for more tips. The key to getting things done is to create deadlines for yourself.
Back to school organizing tips include accountability. Older students find themselves with much greater freedom. This may require coaching to support the following skills:
- Self motivation – It’s difficult to teach self motivation. Like all of us, older students need to be able to tap into what they find rewarding and use those feelings to stay motivated. Do you find being able to cross through or check things off of a list motivating? What about recognition from others such as employers?
- Follow through – Being accountable means that you will do what you say and what you are expected to do. This requires the ability to follow through with both simple and complex tasks and meet deadlines. If follow through is difficult it will be helpful to minimize interruptions and use the strategies that work such as taking breaks, working in a quiet environment, or having an accountability partner
Organizing tips for self care include:
- Sleep hygiene – Older students need to enough sleep on a nightly basis. Learning to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day and night will allow his/her body to adjust to a healthy schedule and be well rested.
- Adequate nutrition, hydration – Drinking plenty of water and eating nutritious meals and snacks will help maintain energy levels and weight control. We know that avoiding processed foods and sugary, caffeinated beverages are part of self care.
- Stress management – Here’s a great article about stress management.
November 15, 2016Time Management Tips 29 Ways to Be Generous With Your Time. There are time management tips that will take as little as 2 seconds and up to 120 minutes. Today’s time management tip is to: Take 5-15 minutes to buy an extra bunch of flower for a friend or neighbor. Yesterday I wrote a tip about ... Read more
November 14, 2016Time Saver Tips Time saver tips are ways to help you to save time and reallocate how you choose to use it. What if you could use at least some of your time every day for being generous to yourself and others? Time savers can be mood boosters and productivity enhancers. This month I am blogging ... Read more
November 13, 2016Get something done | Time management tip Get something done. Always remember that you have to make the time to get something done, it’s just that simple. Time Management Tip: Wake up 15 minutes earlier than you usually do every day and plan to do something that you think you never have time to do. The ... Read more
November 12, 2016Time Management | 29 Ways to Be Generous Time management tips this month are all about how to manage your time and be generous with it towards yourself and others. Today’s Time Management Tip: Sleep in an extra 15 minutes. Consider time management strategies that allow you to eliminate or shorten tasks in order to gain an ... Read more
November 11, 2016Scheduling unscheduled time Scheduling unscheduled time? As a Time Management Coach I’m all about time management of course, but not for the sole purpose of just getting more checked off of your to do list. My emphasis is about managing your time in order to have more work-life balance which means: Time for self care. Time for your ... Read more
November 10, 2016Time Savers Time savers, everyone is seeking ways to save time. But why do we lust for ways to save more time? Everyone will have their own reasons, here are the most common ones: Get more done Feel productive Get places faster Get a raise or promotion Feel appreciated Time savers are beneficial when they are have a purpose and are kept ... Read more
November 9, 2016Organizing, Time Management Tip Organizing, time management tip in my series of posts about organizing, time management tips and work-life balance I focus on how to be generous with time. That is a key reason for time management. Organizing, time management tip #7 is to Send an old photo of you and a friend or family ... Read more
November 8, 2016Work-life balance Work-life balance requires effective time management skills. Time management skills such as prioritizing, planning and time estimation are critical for achieving work-life balance. Today’s time management tip is: Call someone special for no particular reason. It sounds easy but does it happen? We are social creatures and need relationships for a balanced life. Think ... Read more
November 7, 2016Organizing, time management tips Organizing, time management tips can for more than just work, household tasks, or errands. Organizing, time management tips can also serve the purpose of creating greater awareness about the need for balance in your life. This month I’ve talked about how little time it takes to be generous with your time. You ... Read more
November 6, 2016Time management tips Time management tips from Outside In Organizer and Makeovers are designed to show you how to be generous with your time. Since you cannot save time like you can save money and bank it, it’s wise to be more aware about how you choose to use your time. My 29 time management tips ... Read more