Organizing Tips That Work
Organizing tips that work will help to prevent that feeling that you are just moving things or papers from one pile to another? Moving items from 1 pile to another is referred to as Churning. The outcome of this is can cause Clutter and disorganization. For those who find themselves unable to organize and let go of things it might also result in feelings of frustration and lack of productivity.
There are several reasons or obstacles that cause people to churn:
Organizing tips for reducing indecision
Organizing tips that work:
- Decide where something should “live” and put it there. This must be in a specific location that you will store it when it is not in use.
- Decide quickly, in 3-5 seconds.
- Sort 1 pile of items or papers into 3 categories: keep, discard/recycle, donate. Remember that there is no “maybe” pile. You are simply sorting and seeing how it feels to make those decisions quickly.
Organizing tips for reducing fear
Organizing tips to reduce fear: Begin by asking yourself, “what would happen if I put this item out of sight?” Find out what would happen if I let this item/paper go?
- Store it out of sight. Write down a specific date by which you will be ready to let it go.
- Give it to a trusted friend to keep until a specific date. If you don’t need it by that date, let it go.
Organizing tips for creating systems
Organizing tips for creating systems that you can maintain easily:
- Create a “home” for where an item will “live”. This might be a drawer or container for kitchen utensils. Each time that you are finished using the utensil put it there immediately.
- If you are a visual learner, labels may be very useful to you. You can label any space or container to serve as a cue for where an item belongs when it is not in use.
- Use broad categories for file folders (paper and digital/electronic). File folders may be used to house documents that you must retain for financial or legal purposes.
- Broad categories reduce the number of files and are unlikely to contain only 1 or 2 items. Example: “appliances” rather than “dishwasher”, “washing machine”, etc.
For more tips and help with organizing contact your San Diego Personal Professional Organizer for a complimentary phone consultation.
November 7, 2016Organizing, time management tips Organizing, time management tips can for more than just work, household tasks, or errands. Organizing, time management tips can also serve the purpose of creating greater awareness about the need for balance in your life. This month I’ve talked about how little time it takes to be generous with your time. You ... Read more
November 6, 2016Time management tips Time management tips from Outside In Organizer and Makeovers are designed to show you how to be generous with your time. Since you cannot save time like you can save money and bank it, it’s wise to be more aware about how you choose to use your time. My 29 time management tips ... Read more
November 5, 2016Time management tips Time management tips are useful to anyone who feels like they are not getting enough done or unable to get to the things that are important to them. If your life feels unbalanced it may because you are not making time for essential areas of your life: Personal, spiritual, and creative endeavors Relationships including self ... Read more
November 4, 2016Time management tips: Time management tips are helpful if you are you interested in ways to better use of your time. During this month and the Thanksgiving season I’m sharing my 29 time management tips with you. All of these tips take as little as 2 seconds and no more than 120 minutes. Time Management Tips take ... Read more
November 3, 2016Time Management Tips will help you to: Time Management Tips Improve your productivity. Improve your efficiency. Decrease overwhelm. Balance your workload. As your Time Management Coach I am here to share easy tips, and to help you meet your goals. Are you seeking more balance in your schedule and a better use of your time? During this month of November and ... Read more
November 2, 2016Time Management Tips 29 Ways to Be Generous With Your Time Your Time Management Coach is here to share easy to use time management tips and to answer all of your questions. Most people want to know how to get more done in a day. It’s important to remember that more isn’t always better and that balance ... Read more
October 18, 2016Selfish time management Selfish time management offers you many positive benefits and reasons to practice selfish time management skills. These reasons (and benefits) do not just apply to business. Selfish time management also applies to family relationships and friendships, working with others in volunteer activities, and interacting with service providers such as doctors, hair stylists, etc. ... Read more
October 12, 2016Organize your time Organize your time and you will see how little it takes to live an organized life! Let’s see exactly how much time do you need to practice self care. Recently I shared an article entitled 15 Self Care Tips for People Who Work Too Much . I thought that it would be helpful ... Read more
October 10, 2016Time management for self care Time management for self care means making the time that you need for health and well being and committing to it. Nothing could be more important because you and those around you are depending on both of those things. Think about the consequences of delaying or ignoring self care and how ... Read more
October 7, 2016Time management and self care Time management and self care are learned habits. It may require more or less self discipline for some of us than others so just remember that it can be learned. Have you read my previous blog post about Time Management and Self Care? Self care habits, or Optimal Habits © All habits including ... Read more