Being organized | Why
Being organized is a way of thinking, doing and feeling. We all know that change is inevitable and routines help us to feel more organized and productive. Why organize if change is inevitable then? One of the major benefits of being organized is that having structure and systems in place enables us to get back on track more easily when change occurs. Being organized can also keep you from giving up too quickly and prevent feeling as if you are not being productive.
Being organized | Structures & Systems
Being organized includes some of the following basic structures and systems:
- A weekly calendar and monthly planner. Which 1 is best for you? The 1 that you will use!
- An organized filing system, including a Tickler File that aligns with your calendar. Declutter your piles of paper then organize them in a way that you can always put your hands on what you need, when you need it.
- Scheduling time to plan on at the end of every day and on a weekly basis for the week ahead
- Designated specific spaces for all of your items to “live” in. Try to live by the saying, “A place for everything and everything in its place.”
- Regular decluttering time for your home and office on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Maintaining a daily self care regimen which includes adequate sleep, hydration, nutrition, and exercise. Give yourself permission to take care of your mind and body.
Being organized | Ways to get started
Being organized first means getting organized and then maintaining to stay organized. There is an abundance of great information about organizing and time management. Here are 8 ways to get started:
- Read books and articles about organizing and time management strategies
- Hire a Professional Organizer
- Go to workshops and presentations
- Have an accountability coach; this can be your PO, a friend, a coworker, or a family member
- Write down your BIG goals and then identify the top 3
- Prioritize these 3 goals
- Write down mini goals to achieve your 1st priority goal; schedule time to get each 1 done
- Create a plan of action with timelines for completion
Start again with each new goal. Being organized is a process similar to being fit. You create new habits, practice them on a daily basis, and maintain them. It’s not that simple for everyone but it is achievable.
Being organized | 3 Organizing Mindset Principles
Being organized isn’t something that we are born being able to do. It is a way of thinking (mindset) and doing (action). These 3 organizing mindset principles can be learned:
- Less is more. If you over commit yourself and have too much to do you will not be as organized or productive. Learn to postpone non-urgent tasks and eliminate time wasters. Try to delegate tasks that you
- Consistency supersedes everything. Don’t procrastinate about organizing. A little organizing on a regular basis has a positive cumulative effect.
- Uni-task. Uni-tasking rather than multi-tasking increases productivity, accuracy and efficiency. This mindset will allow you to focus and see the results of your effort and attention.
Got questions? Don’t hesitate to contact me for answers.
July 11, 20167 Unbelievable Storage Solutions | Organizing Tips Storage solutions are available for every space. As your Personal and Professional Organizer my goal is to help you find ways to clear clutter and create better flow throughout your home and office. Here are my 7 Unbelievable Storage Solutions and Decluttering/Organizing Tips: The oven Hampers Under the bed The car Attic Bookshelves Suitcases OVEN – An ... Read more
July 8, 2016Organizing Skills – or why summer to-do lists don’t work Organizing skills are needed to get things done. That is just a fact. So creating a long list of to-do’s that you intend to get done during the summer is not a sound strategy. In fact, it is a lot like making New Year’s resolutions. You ... Read more
July 6, 2016Organizing Gift Supplies Organizing gift supplies doesn’t need to wait until just before the holidays. Get all, and I mean all, of your supplies together from every space in the house. Here’s a list of common items: Wrapping paper – rolls and sheets Gift bags, boxes Gift tags, labels Ribbon, bows, other decorative embellishments Tissue paper, other types of stuffing Shipping supplies ... Read more
June 30, 2016DIY Organizing Projects DIY organizing projects are a great way to: Take stock of what you already have, what you need and will use, what you want, and what you are ready to let go of. DIY organizing projects allow you to feel productive and creative. You realize the immediate benefits of organizing: clear space, energy flows. Here is a Jumpstart ... Read more
June 27, 2016DIY Organizing Projects DIY organizing projects are endless. Organizing is a year-long process and the perfect time to organize is always NOW. Forget keeping a summer organizing to-do list. Remember that you don’t need to wait to declutter and organize the spaces in your home, office, and automobile. If you want to know how to prioritize ... Read more
June 24, 2016How to reduce paper clutter Reduce paper clutter and you will feel lighter. The steps depend upon the type of paper items such as circulars, coupons, meeting handouts, or mail. In this post your San Diego Professional Organizer will share her 5 Organizing Tips For Handling Your Mail: Purge the mail that you have… Obstacle: You hate to ... Read more
June 17, 2016Summer Organizing Tips: Don’t Do It! My best summer organizing tip: don’t wait until summer to get it done. Do you or someone you know have a long list of summer organizing projects that you plan or hope to get done? The key is to have a plan because just hoping, never works. Summer organizing is ... Read more
June 15, 2016Organizing Projects | Summer Organizing projects can be done all year long. Do you have a list of the ones that you save for summer? Here are some of the projects that your San Diego Personal and Professional Organizer hears most often: Garage – clear the clutter, organize items into containers, add shelving and cupboards, and resurface ... Read more
June 13, 2016Organize Now! Organize now and stop putting it off. It’s just a matter of dedicating some time to the process. You will see the benefits of organizing if you do a little over a consistent period of time. If you don’t organize now you could make life unnecessarily difficult for yourself and your family in unexpected ... Read more
June 13, 2016Women’s Networking Wardrobe Tips Networking Wardrobe Tips are meant to support your goals and strategies for building professional relationships and creating more business. When I assist men and women with my image consulting services I offer easy ways to look professional and confident. Here are some of my important Wardrobe Do’s and Don’ts based upon actual ... Read more