Useful Declutter Tips
Useful Declutter Tips include the many ways to let go of the items that you no longer need. This is 1 of 29 ways to be generous with your time. With a little bit of time management you can:
- Recycle items such as paper, glass, metal, electronics, batteries, light bulbs .
- Discard items that cannot be repaired or used in any manner, including toxic items.
- Shred confidential documents.
- Consign, resell valuable or highly desired items.
- Donate items in good condition.
- Re-gift, gift items that were never used.
Useful Declutter Tips – Donate
Useful Declutter Tips to start using now! It is likely that you can donate things that you no longer use or wear. It takes as little as 5-10 minutes to scan your garage, closets, drawers, cupboards, and shelves then 10 minutes or so to bag the items that you no longer need. Remember that someone else will benefit from your donations. The benefits you receive when you declutter and donate include:
- Gain more space in your home, office
- Gratitude for being able to help someone in need
- Supporting a cause that is important to you
- Tax write-off
A number of organizations accept donations. Remember to check and see which ones will pick up items from your home, and if there are any restrictions on what they will take. Some groups will take items that are not operational or in need minor repairs, ask them that as well. Here are some popular organizations:
- Rescue Mission
- Helen Woodward Animal Center, Orphaned Donations
- Straight From the Heart
- Salvation Army
- St. Jude
- Father Joe’s
- United Cerebral Palsy Center
- Habitat For Humanity ReStore
- Animal shelters, humane centers
- Community Resource Center
Useful Declutter Tips – My Favorites
As a Personal Professional Organizer I encourage you to enjoy the space that you clear before you think about re-filling it. These are 3 of my favorite, useful declutter tips that my clients find helpful during our declutter work together:
Declutter tip: It’s okay to break up a set of items, for instance, if you have a place setting for 12 and don’t entertain a group of that size you can donate 6 of the settings.
Declutter tip: Think about those suits that you no longer wear. Keep the jacket to wear with other pieces of clothing and donate the skirt or pants.
Declutter tip: Donate surplus office supplies to libraries with literacy programs, after school programs, senior centers, and donation center offices.