Garage clutter can negatively impact everything from your relationships to finances. It’s critical to identify what the clutter is and the most efficient way to let it go. After you identify what you plan to keep your call to action is to have a plan that will result in a system you can maintain.
Garage clutter | Organizing tips
For you DIY-ers, ask yourself these questions in order to begin to get rid of the clutter:
- BE REALISTIC – Do I need this item? If so, when was the last time that I used it?
- BE PRACTICAL – Is this item in good repair and working order? If not, can it be repaired and at what cost? Would it be less expensive and more time efficient to replace it?
- BE GENEROUS – Why am I saving this item? Could someone else use it now?
- BE LOGICAL – Do I have too many of the same items? Can they be donated or returned if not opened?
Garage clutter | How to declutter
Garage clutter needs to be removed so that everything that is not going to “live” in the garage out of the space. Next, clear as much of the floor space as possible and place items that you are keeping around the perimeter in the designated zones that you want to create. For instance, the less-used seasonal items are moved to the far corner of the garage in this photo. Utilize the driveway or one corner of the garage for staging items that will be donated.
Sorting: Once you’ve decided what is staying you will want to group “like” items together. Determine whether they belong in the garage or in the house. Sorting enables you to take stock of how much you have and this will help you to make better purchasing decisions. Commit to using what you already have before purchasing more.
Containing, locating: You will need to make decisions about the best ways for containing the items that you keep and where to store them. The most important considerations include:
- Climatic conditions.
- Minimizing possible damage due to flooding; keep items off of the floor.
- Is there ample and safe space to store the items and the storage containers that they are in.
- Place heavier items and containers closer to the ground and on weight bearing surfaces.
- Does the location of the space allow for easy access?
- It is helpful to have items that you will use frequently closer to the entrance of your home so that you can retrieve them easily.
Garage clutter | Maintaining
Garage clutter can be prevented from recurring by having a plan for maintaining your organized garage. The best tips for preventing the return of clutter include making sure that you have a place for everything. Create designated zones in your garage for specific types of items…gardening, tools, recreational equipment, files and so on. “A place for everything and everything in its place. The next best organizing tip is to have a maintenance schedule. This is a monthly, quarterly and yearly refresh to make sure that your organizing systems are working for you. Best wishes for your clutter-free garage.