Office disorganization is not uncommon but it does have serious consequences if it isn’t dealt with in a timely manner. Office disorganization scenarios:
- You walk into your office and it’s cluttered. Immediately, you feel overwhelmed and stressed.
- There are no clear surfaces and in fact, there are piles of papers and files on the floor and chairs. You step over them but later, they become a safety hazard.
- You don’t even want to work there but have to. You think to yourself, I’ll deal with this mess later…but procrastination is hard to conquer alone.
- Time is wasted trying to find something important.
- You look for it in your email or documents but cannot remember what you called it.
- Piles get reshuffled as you look for a particular item. You see something else in the pile that you forgot about and get distracted from the original task.
- The phone starts ringing and email alerts are going off.
- You are already late for your first meeting of the day.
- Your client arrives early and walks into your office. What is her first impression?
You get the picture, right? There are organizing solutions so know that it is never too late to organize your office.
Office disorganization – Myths and excuses
Office disorganization excuses that may sound familiar:
- I don’t have time.
- I worked with an Organizer before.
- I can’t maintain it.
- I’ll do it later.
- I need a bigger office.
- I’ll scan everything.
- I’ll archive all of my old emails.
Office disorganization | Solutions
Office organization solutions:
Hire a Productivity and Organizing Professional to get the situation under control in 5 key areas:
- Time management systems.
- Productivity routines and habits.
- Declutter your email inbox.
- Email folders and document naming systems.
- Declutter and organize the physical space.
After systems are set up you can decide who should maintain the office organization. Consider what your time is worth, who could do it more efficiently, and what you do that no one else can do. Keep up the good work!