How to organize
How to organize for holidays? Begin by answering these 3 questions:
- What do you need to do?
- When does it need to be done by?
- What do you need in order to get it done?
Holiday organizing is easy when you make a plan, create a budget, and work backwards from realistic deadlines. Let’s make a plan by organizing your list of recipients. First, create or update your gift recipients’ list. Divide the list into 2 broad categories:
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will need to be shipped and by when.
- Names and addresses of those whose gifts will be given in person, and when.
Now you can identify those on your list who:
- Prefer or need “stuff“
- Appreciate experiences and events rather than “stuff“
Brainstorm gift ideas such as favorite stores, hobbies, interests, and generally, the things that others would consider luxuries that they would not give to themselves. Here are my favorite gift ideas for 2016:
- Frequent flier points – transfer them to someone who wants to travel, including a visit to see you!
- Hotel points or timeshare trade – maybe you are not going to use your points or timeshare and someone would love a gift vacation.
- Memberships to zoos, museums, art and music societies.
- Personal services – massage, facial, manicure, pedicure.
- General services – car wash coupons, cleaning services, pet sitter.
- Gift cards – movie theaters, retail establishments.
- Homemade and handmade items – food items, baked goods, art and craft work such as knitting, painting.
- Consumables – stationary, gourmet cooking items, toiletries.
- Sentimental gifts, memorabilia – framed photos, children’s art work, souvenirs.
- Financial gifts – cash, investments, college fund.
- Charitable donations – what organizations or interests are your friends and family passionate about? Environmental, women and children, animal rights, etc.
As a Personal Professional Organizer I provide you with organizing tips that show you:
- How to organize, and
- How to minimize overwhelm with Time Management.
The holidays will be more enjoyable for you and others when you stick to a realistic plan and budget. Wishing you happy, clutter-free holidays.