Organizing purses is much easier than you think. This of course depends upon how many you have and how much space is available for storage. We often accumulate more clothes, purses and other accessories than we actually wear. It’s not unusual for me as a Personal and Professional Organizer to find items with price tags still on them in clients’ closets. Does this sound familiar? If so, that is why I am passionate about sharing organizing tips for purses, too.
The benefits of organizing purses include:
- greater enjoyment from wearing all of them,
- more variety in your wardrobe, and
- easier access to your well kept inventory of purses.
Why so many?
If you love purses as a lot of my family members and friends do you probably enjoy buying them as much, or even more than wearing them! The “rush” some people get from buying things is well documented. Read more: How Shopping Makes You Happy. Women who love shopping may especially like a good sale and sometimes purchase purses and other items they don’t really need because it’s “such a good deal”. A positive emotional response to shopping and buying is a part of why purse collections grow. Another interesting article to read or share: Emotional Spending. Finally, the other reason you acquire so many purses may be that you don’t take the time (I recommend at least once a year) to go through your purse wardrobe and let go of ones that you are no longer wearing.
How to organize purses
Having too many purses makes it impossible to wear them all. I am sometimes asked the question, “How often should I change my purse? Well there is no “should”. I personally don’t like to change my purse except for 2 reasons: change of season, or going to a dressy event. But you can change your purse depending on what you are wearing, where you are going, and when you are wearing the purse. Limiting your purse inventory will make this more manageable. Because we tend to wear the same favorite items over and over again I offer Shop In Your Closet sessions to teach you how to create new outfits from the pieces that are already in your closet, including purses.
So how should you go about organizing your purses? The process always includes 3 steps: Purge, Sort, and Store.
Step 1: Purge – you can discard, donate or consign them.
- You don’t wear it and don’t intend to wear it.
- It is damaged beyond repair.
- It’s no longer your style.
Step 2: Sort – the purses that you decide to keep. What is most helpful for you?
- Sorting by color.
- Sorting by size.
- Sorting by function/event (casual, work, dressy).
Step 3: Store – BEFORE you store your purses be sure to: (Watch this video: Purse organizing video )
- Use the cloth duster bags that come with purses when you purchase them to keep them dust free.
- Keep them stuffed with tissue paper or other smaller bags
- Keep them upright; separators
Step 3, Store, continued –
- Decide where you want to store them. How much space will you need and how much is available. You may want to display some of them. For creative ideas: Some of the best purse storage ideas ever
- Decide how you will keep them upright. I like storing them between shoe boxes or using these separators.
I’d love to see your photos and here how you organize your purses on the Outside In Organizer and Makeovers Facebook page. Thank you.