The best organizing tip I can give you is this, you don’t have to do it all yourself. You already know the many benefits of working with a Productivity and Organizing Professional (PO) like me:
- Save time and energy
- Reduce unhealthy stress and overwhelm
- Do the things you love to do and only you can do
Creative way to work with a PO
One way to work with a Professional Organizer is in getting help with seasonal and holiday planning, preparation and execution. This can include decorating, purchasing and shipping gifts, and planning events.
Are you someone who likes to decorate your home or office for the seasons or holidays? Decorating is creative and can bring great pleasure to the occupants as well as guests. Sometimes the planning and execution creates stress. It’s 1 more thing to plan for in addition to everything else that you are responsible for. You have to make the time to:
- Retrieve or purchase the items and supplies.
- Replace the damaged or worn items.
- Decorate the various spaces.
- Take down and repack/label the items.
If you have the time and resources decorating is worth doing yourself. If it adds stress and doesn’t bring you pleasure it is time to rethink this task. You can ask yourself:
- Do I want to do it?
- Do I need to do it?
- Can I do it for some but not all seasons/holidays?
- Can I do less and still enjoy the tasks and results?
- Can I get help from someone else to get it done?
- Can I delegate it entirely to someone else instead?
Maybe this is the year to think about hiring a Productivity and Organizing Professional to assist you or take over the job. This approach will result in your achieving a fresh look, and getting it done quickly.
If you are not ready for this approach, here are some organizing tips that I would offer:
- Break the project down into shorter, more manageable tasks.
- Create a timeline and schedule time well in advance of the season or holiday for each of the tasks.
- Create an inventory (list, photos) of the items and supplies that you need.
- Recruit help from family and friends.
- Take photos of the finished decorations and spaces for the future.
- Purchase storage bins, packaging supplies, labels, markers and whatever else you need to safely store and protect the items afterwards.