Personal Organizing Tips: Space, Time, Clothing
Personal Organizing Tips for: Space
No matter what the size of your house, rooms, closets, drawers or bins here are useful Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO buy shallow bins to contain things. DON’T buy deep bins (except for larger items), they tend to get filled.
- DO make an agreement with yourself to only fill containers and drawers to no more than 3/4 capacity. DON’T fill spaces to the top.
- DO buy non-perishables in bulk. DON’T buy perishables in bulk. They tend to not get used and expire.
Personal Organizing Tips for: Time Management & Productivity
More time doesn’t always equal more results. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO make appointments with yourself. DON’T expect to find free time to get things done.
- DO break big projects into smaller, more manageable ones. DON’T attack big projects without planning and lead time.
- DO assign due dates to important tasks. DON’T create never-ending to-do lists with no assigned date and time.
Personal Organizing Tips for: Wardrobe & Clothing
Do you have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear? Here are some Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO keep or purchase clothing that is your current size. DON’T keep or purchase clothing that doesn’t fit you today hoping it will fit later.
- DO turn all of your hangers backwards. DON’T wear the same things over and over again. After you wear an item hang it back up correctly. See how many things are still hung backwards at the end of the month.
- DO let go of clothes that you do not like or wear. DON’T feel guilty about having bought those items. Donate or consign them to someone who will love them.
Bigger is not always better when it comes to space. There is a tendency for more space to create more clutter. As a Personal and Professional Organizer I hear many reasons for why people can’t get (or stay) organized:
- If I just had more space…
- a bigger closet…
- when we remodel the kitchen (or another room) I’ll get organized…
- when the kids move out I’ll have more space…
- I don’t have enough time.
There are no perfect conditions for getting organized. Now is the time to create those conditions, I know that you can do it!