Space and Clutter Tips
Your professional organizer in San Diego has brilliant tips to help achieve optimal organization for your home or office space.
October 6, 2017
Clutter be gone
Clutter be gone means getting rid of clutter once and for all! Once you have a handle on the clutter you can get organized and maintain order in your home and office. What is clutter? (You can click on the the link to read my blog post.) You want to be clear about what your clutter is before you begin to decide what goes and what stays. If you are having difficulty deciding whether to keep or let go of something? Try these 3 organizing tips:
- Ask the questions and answer honestly – Do I use it? When was the last time that I used it? Do I like it? If so, is it displayed somewhere where you can use and or enjoy it? Do I need it? Is it in usable (wearable) condition?
- Out of sight, out of mind. If the item is just taking up space and not being used put it somewhere out of sight. Observe how it’s absence does or does not affect you. Do you miss it? Do you want to use it now that it’s not “there”?
- Establish a date for each item that is out of sight. If you do not use it, wear it, need it, miss it by that date then you can probably let it go.
Clutter be gone isn’t a one time effort. Like staying fit, keeping excess weight off or changing any habit staying decluttered requires practice using the systems you put in place. 3 organizing tips that will help:
- Leave it clear. As you declutter a space leave it clear for at least a 2 weeks. You may be tempted to put something back on or into the space…don’t! Notice how it makes you feel to see the space (drawer, closet, etc) more spacious. Use all of your senses…touch the surface, move the remaining clothing in the closet, look into the drawer. Look at the space. Notice how it feels to clean the space or to walk into the room and see the decluttered area.
- Get an opinion. If you share the space with others or invite friends to look at what you decluttered listen to their comments. How do their comments make you feel?
- 1 in 1 out rule. Be realistic and accept that you can only fit so much “stuff” into a space without compromising how it looks or functions. If you bring more items into an already cluttered space begin to adopt the 1 in 1 out rule. For those of you who have extremely cluttered spaces (cannot find or access items easily or safely) try the 1 in 5 out rule. This is especially helpful when you are accumulating items that you already have an ample supply of such as office supplies, jeans, shoes, etc.
Sounds easy but for some of us it is not. There are great books, websites and of course you can consult with a Personal Professional Organizer like me! Don’t try to do it alone if you are overwhelmed. A Personal Professional Organizer can help you get started with a plan. You’ll gain a lot more momentum with help.
October 5, 2017Being organized | Why Being organized is a way of thinking, doing and feeling. We all know that change is inevitable and routines help us to feel more organized and productive. Why organize if change is inevitable then? One of the major benefits of being organized is that having structure and systems in place enables us ... Read more
September 4, 2017Labor day organizing tips: Labor Day is a celebration of workers. Why not make it an opportunity to celebrate your work and get some organizing done. Whether it is end of summer, back to school or work, and Fall organizing you will want to read more about my 5 Super Easy Organizing Tips and Common Organizing ... Read more
August 22, 2017Back to school organizing tips Back to school organizing tips for dorms and apartments need to focus on 2 primary goals. First, the space must be comfortable as well as attractive. Second, students must address how their belongings are organized in the space that is available. Bringing too many items into a small living space creates ... Read more
August 2, 2017Organizing your home after surgery Organizing your home after surgery is as important as organizing before surgery. Your return home and recovery will be easier if clutter is reduced or eliminated and your home is safe and items are easily accessible. The health and safety benefits of organizing can give you a greater sense of independence. ... Read more
June 16, 2017Professional Organizer As a Professional Organizer I teach declutter tips so that you can organize and store items in the most efficient way possible. Most of you want more space and less stuff. Deciding what is clutter and what you can let go of can be an overwhelming and stressful project if you don’t have a ... Read more
May 4, 2017Organizing Tips Organizing tips should be easy to use and offer many benefits. The benefits of organizing may be easily seen as in the case of a decluttered surface such as a floor. Some organizing tips yield benefits that cannot be seen but they are definitely felt. As a Personal and Professional Organizer my clients tell ... Read more
February 20, 2017Rainy day organizing projects | Closets Rainy day organizing projects | closets give you a sense of accomplishment. You can always schedule rainy day organizing projects even when it is not raining! You can organize by room but I suggest that you start small and declutter one closet at a time. Plan ahead so that you ... Read more
January 27, 2017Professional Organizer Professional Organizers are highly motivated to transfer their organizing skills to their clients. It makes more sense for you to to enjoy the benefits of organizing by using them in between sessions rather than use them only when I am there. I listen carefully to the things that my clients say during the time ... Read more
January 20, 2017Garage clutter Garage clutter can negatively impact everything from your relationships to finances. It’s critical to identify what the clutter is and the most efficient way to let it go. After you identify what you plan to keep your call to action is to have a plan that will result in a system you can maintain. Garage ... Read more
January 19, 2017Organizing a cluttered garage Organizing a cluttered garage doesn’t have to feel overwhelming. I observe that in fact, sometimes people would rather avoid this project and resign themselves to parking in the driveway or on the street. That may not be an option for some of you because of neighborhood rules. Organizing a cluttered garage has ... Read more
“Denise and I are working on a de-cluttering and reorganization project, in preparation for putting my house on the market. Working with Denise has been a great experience. Her kind and gentle approach really eases the pain associated with this process. She’s patient and understanding, but at the same time creates an environment conducive to decision-making and results.
The company name, The Outside-In Organizer, is perfect because Denise starts by assessing the “outside” of a project but then dealing with the project at its core, or the “inside.” Working together in a collaborative fashion we’ve been able to tackle projects that seemed impossible at first. I’m so thankful to have found her and have her on my team!”