Create an end of school year ritual and purge the backpack. No matter what the student’s age you can get him or her involved as well.
- Have the student take everything out and place it on a cleared surface.
- Have him/her identify what can be discarded or recycled.
- Help him/her identify what can be donated to an organization or camp.
- Help him/her identify what to keep (it’s okay to ask “what will you use it for?”).
- Art work – have him/her keep the favorites to either frame, put into a scrapbook, or scan and save in a file!